That's where testing comes in. Split testing, in particular, allows you to split your website traffic between multiple variations of a web page, and select the best performing version. There is A/B testing, which is simply a test between two variations (e.g. red sign up button vs. green sign up button), and multivariate testing, testing multiple variations of a page (e.g. headline and button combination).
While free tools, like Google Website Optimizer, provide a suitable starting point for split testing, new tools are entering the market which make testing even easier and more effective. Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) offers a number unique advantages over traditional testing tools (especially for non-IT/developer users):
Visual Website Optimizer - world's easiest A/B and multivariate testing software
- The ability to create multiple variations of a web page using a point-and-click designer
- A WYSIWIG editor allows you to test headlines, images and more
- Specify more than one conversion goal (e.g. a sign up and a sale)
- Realtime conversion charts with easy-to-read reports
- Heatmap and clickmap visualization of the test results
- Integration with Google Analytics
If you know of other split testing tools or methods, please let us know in the comments!